Office: RLM 14.316
My research lies in the fields of fluid mechanics and acoustics. I combine experimental, computational, and theoretical approaches to conducting inter-disciplinary research at the interface of fluid dynamics and acoustics engineering with applications in the areas of biomedicine, energy, environment, and oceans. My previous research included:
* sound beams for microparticle manipulations and biomedical applications
* acoustic scattering from cavities in elastic solids
* sound propagation in stratified oceans
* tidal-to-wave energy conversion in oceans
* nonlinear dynamics of water surface waves
* surface wave interaction with bottom topography
* capillary wave dynamics in open channels for flow control
A selection of research projects that I have finished:
(See my Google scholar page for a complete list of publications.)
- J. Zhao, L. K. Zhang, H. L. Swinney, Topographic height dependence of internal wave generation by tidal flow over random topography, Geophysical Research Letters 42 (19), 8081-8087.
- Y. Li, X. Jiang, B. Liang, J.-C. Cheng, and L. K. Zhang, Metascreen-Based Acoustic Passive Phased Array, Physical Review Applied, 4, 024003 (2015). Marked as “Editors’ Suggestion.” http://chaos.utexas.edu/publications/metascreen
- L. K. Zhang, and H. L. Swinney, Virtual seafloor reduces internal wave generation by tidal flow, Physical Review Letters, 112, 104502 (2014). Marked as “Editors’ Suggestion” and featured for a Synopsis in Physics [link].
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Acoustic radiation torque on small objects in viscous fluids and connection with viscous dissipation, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 136 (6), 2917-2921(2014).
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Optical theorem for acoustic non-diffracting beams and application to radiation force and torque, Biomedical Optics Express 4, 1610 – 1617 (2013); (Erratum) 4, 2988 (2013). Published in Feature Issue on Optical Trapping and Applications [link]
- L. K. Zhang, and D. B. Thiessen, Capillary wave scattering from an infinitesimal barrier and dissipation at dynamic contact lines, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 719, 295 – 313 (2013).
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Axial radiation force exerted by general non-diffracting beams, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, EL329-EL335 (2012).
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Angular momentum flux of nonparaxial acoustic vortex beams and torques on axisymmetric objects, Physical Review E 84, 065601(Rapid Communication) (2011). Appears in Physics Today [link]
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Geometrical interpretation of negative radiation forces of acoustical Bessel beams on spheres, Physical Review E 84, 035601(Rapid Communication) (2011). Appears in AAAS Science Now [link], Physics Today [link]
- L. K. Zhang, and P. L. Marston, Acoustic radiation torque and the conservation of angular momentum, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 1679 (2011). Top 20 Most Read Articles of JASA, April 2011
- L. K. Zhang, X. L. Wang, and Z. Y. Tao, Spatiotemporal bifurcation of a parametrically excited solitary wave, Physical Review E 75, 036602 (2007).
Washington State University (2012)
M.S. (Physics, Acoustics)
Washington State University (2008)
Nanjing University (2007)
Nanjing University (2003)
F. V. Hunt Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Acoustics by Acoustical Society of America (2013-14)
Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad by China Scholarship Council (2011)
Graduate School Doctoral Scholarship (WSU) (2011)
Outstanding Teaching Assistant by American Association of Physics Teachers (2009)
President’s Award (WSU) (2009)
Millennium Fellowship (WSU) (2006-07)
Best Paper Award by Acoustical Society of China (2005)
Cyrus Tang Foundation Scholarship (2000-03)
People’s Scholarship (NJU) (2000-02)